The Celebrity Chef Is Confirmed By His Family To Have Passed Away From Brain Injury After He Fell And Banged His Head When Filming For A New Show In Dubai.
The family of celebrity chef Gary Rhodes have confirmed he died after suffering a brain injury.
Rhodes passed away in Dubai, where he had been living and working, on Wednesday, November 27, at the age of just 59.
Now his family have confirmed his cause of death as a subdural haematoma brain injury, following speculation the chef and restaurateur had hit his head while filming for a new show. However, they did not confirm the cause of the brain problem.
“In order to end painful speculation surrounding the sudden passing of our beloved Gary Rhodes OBE, the Rhodes family can confirm that after a successful day shooting with Rock Oyster Media for ITV here in Dubai, Gary returned home in a very happy mood for a peaceful evening with his wife Jennie,” they said in a statement to London’s Evening Standard newspaper.
“After dinner, Gary unfortunately collapsed in their residence and was rushed to hospital but unfortunately passed away due to subdural haematoma.”
“At this time, there are no other details and the family would again request privacy around this very tragic loss and again, thank friends and family for their ongoing support at this time.”
Rhodes, a Michelin star chef, was an instantly recognisable TV presence in the 1990s due to his gelled spiky hair and appeared on “Masterchef”, “MasterChef USA”, and “Hell’s Kitchen”.
Fellow British cook Vineet Bhatia, who filmed with the star in Dubai last week, claimed he had been told Rhodes “slipped and banged his head” before his death.
Rhodes had previously suffered a blood clot on the brain after he was hit by a van in Amsterdam aged 19, when he was warned by doctors another head injury could prove fatal, British newspaper the Daily Mail reported.
Gordon Ramsay, Jamie Oliver, and Nigella Lawson were among the top culinary figures to pay tribute to Rhodes after his passing.